Something that none of you would know is that I am an aspiring activist, I feel a need to act on various different issues, humanitarian or environmental. Environmental is closer to me then humanitarian, but last year in class something called “The millennium goals” came up. The United Nations have set up a list of goals that should and are trying to be fulfilled by 2015.
These goals are:
1. Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
2. Achieve Universal primary education
3. Promote gender equality and empower women
4. Reduce child mortality rate
5. Improve maternal health
7. Ensure environmental sustainability
8. Develop a global partnership for development
These are a lot of goals to fulfil by 2015 but my research has told me that the UN are one their way to fulfilling these eight goals. Even though this maybe so I have also found information contrary to what the UN have filed in their report. It’s not saying that the goals have not been fulfilled at all or that the millennium goals are useless but that these goals will not be fulfilled by 2015 due to the unequal attention each area in the world that the UN have decided to focus on.
Now what I want to do is, though I am only 16 years old is I want to try and fulfil all eight of these goals in one kit. Even though this will not be extremely helpful it may help in some small way. If we could make a kit just a small environmentally friendly and biodegradable bag filled with:
1. A few packets of seeds that will thrive in the chosen area where the kit will go (this addresses goal one)
2. Books/exercise books and stationary in the language of the chosen area (this addresses goal two)
3. As for empowering women, I’m still trying to think of some symbolic to empower women because in the areas these proposed kits, if sent go to places where women are most likely illiterate
4. Provide a small first aid that contains basically everything in a normal first aid kit but with iron/vitamin supplements basically things that will help combat malnutrition. As well as your basic antibiotics and multiple water purifying pills. (this addresses goal number four)
5. Improvement of maternal health can be done by adding to the first aid kit is condoms and pads (environmentally friendly ones, this combats goal five)
6. Combating disease is also addressed by the first aid kit.
7. To ensure environmental sustainability as I said before, seeds-seeds that may grow to trees or just seeds that can provide the family with food or even fruit trees.
8. Develop a global partnership for development this can be done by if the child remains at school and complete primary then secondary schooling they may want to be successful in life so in the bag we can put a list of contacts that will benefit the person in question and help/mentor/finance this child.
9. Something not mentioned int he millennium goals is that I hope to also add 10 Kuwait Dinars into this kit because Kuwait Dinars are the most valuable currency in the world as well as this will help boost the family in whatever venture they may decide to take.
This is my idea that I hope may one day actually happen I’m not sure if it is 100% problem free but I’m 16 so if you think there should be something else added to this kit or would like to help me with this idea of mine and turn it from an idea to a act all help is warmly welcome.